Thursday, March 24, 2011

Enlightened Yoga (with added soundtrack)

A few mere hours ago I returned from a Pilate's class I have been meaning to try out for months.  There was a crisis, an excuse, a holiday, and then my intention fell to a long lost idea.  But when this week started and I declared in a recent blog a better balance of passion for food and exercise, I wanted to act on both.
Last night Ant and I had friends over for dinner.  I love cooking for people and eating, so little dinner parties work well for me. (Feel free to invite yourself over)  He was a good help in the kitchen, making the salad and getting the chicken in the marinade while I made homemade meatballs and cooked up some hot sausage.  I had the brownies in the oven while I started on the chicken cutlet- and just like that, the house smelled warm and inviting.  I love when my kitchen smells like a great restaurant and it leaks to the living room inviting you off the couch for a taste from the pot.  Dinner was a success in taste, but it wasn't health conscience.  And I doubt the serving of blueberries and strawberries I put out next to brownies and pound cake made up for the lack of whole and healthy ingredients.  I have no great excuse here but it has been so dark and rainy every day and I was craving some Italian comfort food, therefore, we paused healthy cooking 101.
 So it was necessary to have an hour blocked off tonight for this new Pilate's class.  The class was at a Yoga studio that offered Pilate's and Yogalaties (which I plan to try next) My friend G and I arrived a few minutes early and met with the instruction who isn't even slightly intimidating.  She was friendly and funny. She struggled along with us at points and wasn't afraid to admit when it hurt, but she did have a body that said, "keep it up and look like me." I thought she had a great mix of music...but there was an added soundtrack that took me off guard.  G, you know where I am going with this.
 So to set the stage, this is a small Yoga studio.  Just an open room with a door for the entrance and one for the bathroom.  It has colorful green walls and this art teacher/yoga instructor hand painted some walls with yoga symbols that are encouraging.  She has a small fireplace with a sweet smelling candle atop (thank Goodness, we will get there)  The studio has been there for less then a year and she is just building this class.  So besides my friend and I, there was only one other women.  Let's call her Beans.  Beans was a nice lady, friendly, not a big fitness go getter.  She spent some time on the mat just laying and yawning while others were moving.  And Beans had to run to the bathroom just in time for the squats portion of the class, and returned as we were on our last rep.  Now we all get tired from time to time, so I don't fault Beans for this. I am not going to judge a soul on their fitness routine.  She came out tonight and made a fitness effort, so she has half America beat.  And I am not sure what this nice women ate all day long, but we can only guess it did not agree with her.  You can guess where this is going.  Small studio, 3 students, ceiling to allow an echo...
 The first loud passing of the gas was followed by an, "oh, excuse me girls."  No harm no foul.  I felt bad for her, any ones mistake.   Legs up, legs down, squeeze your butt in, breathe out- it can happen. 
 But then Beans let it go the rest of class.  She stopped apologizing because it would have just been redundant at that point.  Every movement was followed by a popping fart.  I had to bite the insides of my cheeks to hold back the laughter and that didn't even hurt compared to the heat in my thighs from our current leg lifting exercise! At one point when it just got ridiculous I looked over at G, just out of the corner of my eyes, and I saw her forcing herself to look out the window and away from me!  Thank Goodness because had we made eye contact it would have been an all out  burst of laughter.  Side note: Thankful for the candle and the space between Beans and us tonight.  Beans had no shame, she did not apologize at the end of class or offer some excuse.  She just packed her belongings and farted her way out the door. 
  In spite of the added soundtrack, I whole heartedley look forward to returning.  I plan to round some more girls up too- and I kinda hope they get to meet Beans.  I came home tonight already feeling better.  It made me want to do more healthy things for my body.  And the little pain I felt in my thighs when I hit the steps made me smile, progress.  So the beat goes on....

No comments:

Post a Comment