Monday, March 21, 2011

The fight of Chi Green Tea + Green Apple Martini (candy will not be happy)

Because so much of the good life can be associated with rich food and wine, you have to take a look at the good ass.  And it hasn't been looking as good lately!  Funny thing about making more money, the younger verison of myself couldn't go out to eat and drink the way I do now; she was cute.
 I was a runner when I was in High School.  I hit the lake every day after class and the school gym had my attention for a good hour after that- I actually trained with the football players. And I happened to attend college in sunny Florida where there is no such thing as a sweater season. No one orders fast food in a bathing suit, "Pass The Salad Thanks." I spent most of my days reading by the pool and then spending an hour on a step machine before going out dancing. Imagine that body.  Wait, let's give that a minute...
 But somewhere between there and now (career, home, lifestyle changes), I lost the runner in me.When did I stop? I think I came home from work one night and there was laundry to be done, dust this, fold that, and a DIY project in some room- and before I knew it 1:00am hit.  And you don't get to spend all day with your friends like in your early 20's so you need to carve out time for that. And that is precious as you need that time and liquid therapy with people who care and don't charge $200.00 an hour, Cheers!
  And what do I do with said friends? Break bread and bitch. (and support one another, I have a great group but we love our happy hours (s) ). 
 So I was watching a Nike commercial the other day and their marketing department does a damn good job of making running look like a stress relieving and relaxing activity. I really wanted that back.  So I laced my sneaks up, stretched like I was in a marathon and hit the pavement. That commercial is about as real as a painless wax.  Before I hit a mile I was huffing and I wasn't enjoying ish about this experience. I would much rather be walking and enjoying the scenery then pushing this uncomfortable run. And then mid stride I could remember the last time I was a runner... it was after a painful, dramatic breakup (post breakup body, always hot)  I can only imagine now I was looking for something that could hurt slightly more then the breakup, so I tortured myself with running.  Then when I got happy, running stopped. Now if I could go back, I would have never stopped.  NEVER STOP.  But I did, so its gut check time.  In keeping all things happy and enjoying the beautiful life, I have to admit that I am no longer a runner.  I wish I was a professional dancer too, but hey,we have to let some things go. I would rather indulge in things I enjoy: Yoga, Pilates, Walking, Hiking, Swimming.  I am not anti-movement, I just need to concentrate on things I enjoy.
 So I am enlisting my girlfriends to join me.  This way we can bond over the downward dog instead of a bowl of olive oil.  And maybe we can encourage one another over a cup of Chi Green Tea instead of 1,500 calories of Green Apple Martini.
 Don't get me wrong, the more grown up version of me needs something a little stronger to take the edge off from time to time.  But if I can incorporate more of above activities I won't feel so bad when I indulge.
 I'm not giving up beautiful food, but stay tuned for the fabulous low cal brunches I plan to throw and the secrets to a delish dinner party without the guilt.  I'll be finding the balance between that and decadent yum.
For example: Sunday brunch at Lillians Cafe in Audubon: a yum


Blueberry Crepe, even better then it looks
 

No comments:

Post a Comment