Monday, March 28, 2011

Ode to an Eye Ball

FURBY.  It is the nic name lovingly given to me by a friend due to my big eyes, and it just stuck.  Who knew the big eyes could cause some trouble.
  I have been wearing contacts for probably over 15 years.  It is annoying.  At first I wore the ones you had to take out and clean every night and morning.  Think of all the unplanned sleepovers that happen in HS. I use to leave those babies in a spoon with a little solution! 
 Then I moved to the "one a day" contacts.  Not so much fuss but thousands of dollars more. And I have been wearing them ever since.  Put the cost to the side-it isn't a choice, I am blind as a bat.  When I wake up in the morning and open my eyes I still have no idea what time it is, because I can't read the clock next to the bed. I took a shower once without them and I am pretty sure I shaved with shampoo.  Honestly, I'd be walking into walls without the help of that little moon shaped plastic in my eye.  And sometimes it doesn't fit correctly, and in the pool they get stuck to your eye (try taking a romantic shower) and they can rip mid day and leave you one eyed til 5pm.  So I am breaking down.
 LASIK has been around for awhile.  And as long as it has been around, I have been petrified.  I don't even like the idea of someone gently touching my eye, chills run down my spine.  So the thought of surgery had always been placed far far away.  But lately, it has become harder and even more annoying to live with contacts.  And I continue to meet people who go on about what a miracle it is to wake up and see the clock.  I have no idea what it would be like to look out of the window from bed and know the weather, that seems pretty amazing to me.  I wouldn't have to worry when I packed for vacation that I brought enough backup.  I can fall asleep watching TV whenever I want, and sleep for the night.  And I never again have to go onto 1800 contacts and spend $600.00 for a few months supply. (although the website is the best if you must do so.)  So I booked my consultation.  Actually two, because I wanted to be thorough and love and trust the place I was giving my eye balls over to.  The second place far out shined the first.  The staff was so friendly and informative....and funny.  When I finally admitted that I have put this off due to fear and anxiety, he replied, "Well after you we will have done one."  Which was a funny way to say, man up girl, this is all we do all day long.  No biggie.  I must admit that it was comforting to watch people go in and out of surgery while I was there getting my tests.  You are literally under the laser for 4 minutes tops.  (I could see through a curtain in the waiting room when a ladies feet went up to lay on the table and came back down on the floor, yes, I timed this.)  And speaking of waiting room, this was the perfect one.  It was large and open with coffee and tea makers and lots of flavors to choose from.  They had multiple seating arrangements, all comfy and welcoming so you could just sit with who you came with.  A TV, with a remote for the room (not stuck watching All My Children or Jerry Springer, which gives me anxiety all by itself) and plenty of mags and thank you cards from prior patients. I was sold.  But funny thing about big eyes, Furby eyes that is...large pupils and small cornea make LASIK impossible.  Because of so advanced technology, they have an almost identical option for me, PRK. (flapless LASIK in basic terms)  So I hear slightly longer recovery with a little more pain as they scrape a top layer...let's not even get into it.  Big picture..within a month I will be happily contact and glasses free.  I am giving my eyes back the gift of sight without any outside help.  *Catch- I have to wear my glasses for one week prior to surgery and I never, ever, wear my glasses around, especially to work.  On the flip side I did buy myself a little surgery day present.  You have to bring a pair of sunglasses with you that day to wear out of surgery and you pretty much have to keep them glued to your face for a month..so, I went out tonight and bought my PRK day gift, designed by Nine West...surgery shades. 
I saw a lady walking in with googles to strap around her head, not happening.  This isn't the 100 meter in the olympics and just because I can't see well when I come out doesn't mean I have to ruin the view for everyone else! Find humor in everything, it helps.  Ahh, the beautiful life. (coming soon in HD to an eyeball near me)

No comments:

Post a Comment