Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Fabulous Food

I am writing and cooking simultaneously right now.  Two of my favorite things.  I just added a glass of red wine to the mix, all the better.  My mind has been on food for the last 24 hours so this is fitting.  My mother swears by the Gluten Free diet (more for health then weight, but she is down over 30 lbs!).  I have been needing naps like a bear for the last year.  Since we have the same genetics, I figured why not give it a try.  And today was my first sample. 
Test- Can I get through the day without a nap?! 
All winter long I have needed at least 15 minutes to push me through, I do not want to carry this habit into spring- my ass print is on the couch! And I do believe diet has so much to do withour health and  how we feel, so I am giving this a try.
Breakfast- 2 scrambled eggs with some dry seasonings I picked up at a farm, organic and gluten free
Lunch- PBNJ on Ezekiel bread with green tea
3pm- here is where I felt the sleepy coming on, as I usually do.  Normally my body craves candy or something with sugar to give me a fake high of energy and push me through until after work when I can hit the couch. (plan for future- hit the gym!)
Snack- Banana and a few almonds -and it worked! It woke me back up, and guilt free.

So now here I am making dinner and writing while I wait for things to simmer and bake. On our menu for the evening-
Baked Chicken that marinated in homemade Italian dressing with some Gluten Free Breadcrumbs.  A box of Gluten Free Risotto, a bunch of roasted veggies and a salad with French dressing......
 I paused to eat here and it wasn't bad at all!  I liked it, I'm stuffed, and the red wine is flowing so I am a happy girl!  While it is probably best homemade as all things are, this little box of Risotto was perfect.  It was garlic and pepper flavored and I would never miss a thing with this creamy side.  It was also a very easy make, so it will be appearing again in weeks to come.
 My next task of the night is to come up with a menu for my girlfriends for our dinner tomorrow night.  I have already promised chicken cutlet, which is as easy as it is delicious.  I plan to make a salad with tomato and mozzarella but I am debating sides and apps. I am leaning towards my homemade bruschetta or Roasted Pepper and Goat Cheese dip...
Dessert is decided as I am offering something for both the Gluten free and sugar craver.  I am attempting my first Gluten Free dessert with a chocolate chip scone.  And to be on the safe side I will also have cappuccino mousse mix served in a margarita glass with berries.  Oh you fancy, huh!?
 Which reminds me, I still have scones to prepare tonight so I should take it easy on the wine because zoning out in front of the TV is not an option on this evening.  I am looking forward to tomorrow not just because I am cooking for friends (top 5 favorite things) but because little Sophie will be making an appearance, my girlfriends perfectly precious baby.  And although I don't have my own case of baby fever as of yet, cuddling with this angel is a great dose of heaven.  So it won't matter what tomorrows work day will bring, the evening will far exceed the day.  Wine, Friends, Food, Soph!
 If you haven't tried to make something new lately, add it to your next weeks to do list.  The work week can get so mundane and become so routine.  We so easily reach for the same items at the grocery store and make what is tried and true.  Usually something that goes right to your rear and makes you dread the first pool party of the season.  But playing around and inventing in the kitchen can be invigorating and a fabulous meal and glass of wine can really spunk up a Tuesday.  I am going to try and make something new every week.  I am collecting gluten free recipes like I use to collect shoes, this isn't nearly as costly.   If you make anything fabulous, let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment