Friday, April 15, 2011

Oh Brows!

To zap or not to zap, that has been the question.  I have been rolling back and forth with my gut on this eye surgery.  I was 100% sold on never having to wear contacts again.  Ahh, the joy of traveling without a package of contacts and being able to wake up and just run!  And I would never again be sitting in an important meeting where my composure and control would dictate the sale, and then boom, contact rips and I have to pretend like I can still actually see everyone and no I am not crying thank you.  My eyes just tear up when I am passionate about something!
 But alas, the Internet had offered up so many horror stories of PRK gone wrong, so the night before my surgery, I put it to a halt.  I saw another doctor that day, did more research and then the call today.
 I am lucky enough that my mother works for a very prestigious and well know eye surgeon.  Said surgeon had asked why I wanted this procedure done, and when the response was simply to never wear contacts again, he yelled "NO."  Why would you want to transform forever an otherwise healthy cornea, just because you are being lazy about contacts.  Today I can see clear, with the help of my plastic friends.  Would I give that up for a chance of constant halo and double vision at night? YES!- IF I wore glasses.  Glasses are awful. I understand that now that I have spent slightly over a week in them.  I could go on and on about the limitations and frustrations of a pair of glasses.  You never see the world completely or with peripheral vision.  Lights and sun glare off of them.  When it rains, they do not have their own windshield wipers. (Does anyone remember Duane Wanes glasses from Different World? He could pop that flap up and down anytime, very sexy Duane) You can never create a great smokey eye, eye shadow is lost on a glasses eye altogether.  And the shower, its awful to take a blurry shower.  I would resoundingly say YES if I were a glasses person.  But I pop in these little contacts and life is clear. I don't think I want to risk that. 
 So today I popped my contacts back in. Ahhhhh, what a huge difference this makes.  I looked in the mirror and saw my complete face for the first time in what felt like forever.  In my mind, a silent conversation went like this:
------"Oh, this is so much better, OH, there is my face, I forgot what my eyes look like and  OH HELL, hello unruly brows! My little guys have been having a party this last week it appears.
I do my make up blind and pop the glasses on.  It doesn't matter how accurate it is, because glasses hide most of it.  And apparently, the eye brows as well.  They were just hanging in every direction, like an 80 year old man who just woke up and said F it, I'm old, I can rock this.  So I now have a date with my eyebrow brush a pair of tweezers and some face cream.  At least it was a good laugh this morning. Eyebrows, sorry you were neglected!

No comments:

Post a Comment