Thursday, April 14, 2011

A Festival, Adventure, and Delay

About a year ago, in an attempt to feel connected to what is going on around me, I subscribed to the Courier Post for the weekend paper.  It has turned into a Sat morning tradition that I wait for all week.  No matter what the day holds busy or lazy, we usually start Saturday morning with coffee and the paper.  (Sat also has the weekly store ads, - I can always find something I have to have but absolutely do not need).  I also use the paper to find events, restaurant specials and random happenings around us.  Last weekend Philadelphia was putting on the yearly Cherry Blossom Festival in connection with Saruka Sunday, a Japanese Celebration.  Last year we went to the International Festival of the Arts in Philly and loved it, so we figured we would check this one out. So when I saw this add in the paper, and knew we would already be in Philly, I thought, why not?...

Write up for Pizzeria Pesto in S Philly

So our day was planned.  They plan the date of Sakura Sunday around the 100% blossoming of the Cherry Blossom Trees.  And  that was really beautiful to see. The trees were various shades of light and deep pink along with random bright white. We were hoping for some more Japanese Culture as far as the festival was concerned, but we were greeted by tents holding promotions for cell phones, newspapers, and even the Phillies.  I would have been more interested in more culturally based tents.  They did have 2 stages going where they had various drum and dance and karate shows throughout the day.  Besides the Blossoms, that would be the best part.  Many people brought blankets and picnics and spent the day under the trees enjoying the weather.  It was right next to the Horticulture Center, so we popped in there as well.  It was a beautiful day, so even with the lack of worth while tables, it wasn't a bust.




After we walked the area a couple times and saw a show we headed to the Pizza Place mentioned in the article.  The writer was talented in the way he described the pizza crust and bubbly cheese.  At first read I was sold, I had to try this pizza.  The guy who flips your pie is great.  He has a wonderful and friendly personality and is overly accommodating.  That is the best thing I can say about the place.  The writer is also an exaggerator.  Ant liked the pie, but in his words, "you can't mess up pizza."  Me, I am a little more particular with my pies. I think there is a distinct difference between a great pie that has a perfectly baked crust (usually in a wood fire grill) and the sauce is a huge key, not to mention the quality of cheese.  I had higher hopes, but it was still cool to find a new place. 
 The disappointment in pizza left me wanting a sweet and believe it or not, IKEA has the best $1.00 Frozen Yogurt Cone.  Really, the thing is like crack. You will find yourself driving back over the bridge for a lick within a week. So we wrapped up the day with a new duvet cover for our bedroom and the crack cone from Ikea.  Successful day.
 Fast forward to today, and the delay.  I am currently writing this blog while still in glasses!  I am stuck in the Specs!!  I should have had my PRK surgery today but I had a nagging feeling something wasn't right and last night I went into panic mode online.  Today, instead of surgery I met with another doctor. Here I found I should be waiting 14 days without contacts, not the 7 days I was originally told.  So I have one more week of blind showering and dealing with feeling unattractive while I am trying to work around them each morning while attempting the makeup. The anticipation and build up with dealing with the surgery will have to start all over again.  But better safe then sorry! Well since I won't be bound to goggles while healing in the house this weekend, I am off to find my next adventure...in the words of JenJen...Live Love Liquor

No comments:

Post a Comment